Saturday, December 6, 2008

An Unexpected chance to hone my Wifely Abilities

Many of you know that Grandma Ostler fell and hurt her ribs and hip on her right side; last Saturday. She was going up the ramp from our patio into the house. She caught her toe on the edge and in the shoes she was warring, she could not catch her balance. Kai reached out to grab her, but he was a split second too late! Grandma tumbled backward and hit her back on a lamp table.

When she first fell, she didn’t want anyone to help her get up right
away. Dunddle was very worried about her and he knew something was very wrong!! Cousin Amy says that Dunddle sat right next to her on the floor, until she was ready to try and get up. The Dog was acting as a protective sentinel to our Grams!
I am so glad that Amy, Kai, and their kids were here visiting with her, because I was not home at the time. Jonathan and I came home after it had happened. Once Grandma was able to get up, Kai, Sean, and Jonathan gave her a blessing and Aunt Jill drove her to the Hospital to get x-rays and things. The doctor said that nothing looked broken and that it is probably a lot of soft tissue damage. She is going to be in a lot of pain. They sent her home with medicine, and told her to take it easy.
As you can probably guess, this means that a lot more of my help has been needed around here. I have had to take on the daily house tasks such as: Heating and bringing her, her meals, doing laundry, doing dishes and MORE. It has been somewhat of a challenge, but I am more then up to all the tasks at hand. I would do anything I possibly could to help Grams; especially after all she has done for me over so many years! :-)
In fact if you think about it, this has all been somewhat of a blessing in disguise for me; because having to help out more, has given me the uninterrupted chance to hone my homemaking skills. It has given me lots of much needed practice, on performing my future “wifely duties.” For this past week or so, I have had to do the majority of the necessary house-work. I don’t think Grammy has ever evan realized that I am so capable of all the things that I can do! (She has never really given me the chance to prove myself before) I know she is very proud and thankful for all I have done. She is also much more confident in my skills as a future wife as well. (This makes me happy)
It has been an extremely rough go for our sweet matriarch this past week. I think today was the first day she has actually truly started to feel more like herself. She woke up this morning and said, “This is a great day, I think I am starting to feel better! The pain is still there, but I actually feel better! My body, my spirit, my EVERYTHING is starting to feel better!!” This reaction to her day made me feel much better for her, myself. =)

We know that Grandma Ostler will not be running any marathons, doing cartwheels, or doing the splits just yet, (SMILES and GIGGLES) but I am sure we are all glad to hear, that she is doing well. Let’s all hope and pray that things stay on the upside and mending for her. Let’s also hope that I can keep her from over exerting herself and doing too much, too quickly. Do you know how hard that can be sometimes?!

Lastly, I know we would both like to thank all the family and friends who have so willingly lent us a helping hand, while Grandma Joan is on her road to recovery from this injury. It means SOOO much to us! We appreciate it all, more than words can say!! We love you each very much!
Please keep the get well wishes, calls, and cards coming. She really likes those and I know that it will help continue to lift her spirits. ~Thanks =-D

3 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

We were sad to hear about Grandma's little accident, but glad to hear that she is recovering well from it. We're so happy that you were there to help her out this last week or so! You're going to be an amazing wife!

Sunnie said...

i'm glad grams is seeming to do better. i wish i could be there to help. also love the blog layout. so cute!

Leah Ferguson said...

I was so sad to hear about Grandma O hurting herself, but I'm so glad to read your post! That is so sweet of you to help out! I wish we could be there to help but it sounds like you are doing an amazing job!